I made these zucchini fritters last night (and again tonight 😉) and they are so yummy! 😋
Tip: to squeeze the water from the grated zucchini, I used a nut milk bag which made it easy peasy with no mess 👌🏻
My ‘must have’ criteria for a midweek meal is that it’s simple to prepare with minimal ingredients so this ticks all of the boxes ✅
- 3 ½ cups grated zucchini (490g) measured/weighed before squeezing out excess water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup gluten free flour (125g)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- splash of garlic infused olive oil
- 2 spring onions chopped or 1 tsp dried chives
- ¼ cup vegan mutter (56g) melted
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying
- Grate the zucchini and then add it to a mixing bowl. Sprinkle over the salt and mix in. Then leave it for 10 minutes. The salt will help release the excess water from the zucchini. Then use your hands to squeeze the zucchini and drain off excess water (I used a nut milk bag to squeeze out the water which can be found here). Place the squeezed zucchini into another bowl and leave the water behind.
Once the squeezed zucchini is in a fresh mixing bowl, add in the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, garlic oil and chopped spring onions and mix together. It will be very crumbly.
Add in the melted vegan butter and mix into a thick batter.
Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a frying pan and let it get hot. Once hot, use an ice cream scoop to scoop out even sized amounts of batter into the frying pan. If you don’t have a cookie scoop just use around ¼ cup for each fritter. Use your spatula to press it down from the top and flatten. Depending on the size of your pan you can cook a few at a time.
Let it cook for a few minutes and then flip over – around 3 minutes per side; when both sides are nicely browned.
Add the remaining tbsp of olive oil to the frying pan and repeat with your next batch.
Serve with roasted potatoes and a simple salad.