My hubby stumbled across this granola recipe and really the rest is history as we have pretty much made this every week since. Steve loves having this for breakfast.
4 cups rolled oats
1 ½ cup raw nuts and seeds (we use 1 cup almonds and ½ cup sunflower seeds)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup melted coconut oil
½ cup maple syrup (or honey)
1 tsp vanilla extract
sprinkle of salt
additional mix-ins: ½ cup of chocolate chips or coconut flakes, ⅔ cup of dried fruit (chopped if large)
1. Preheat oven to 180oC and line a large, rimmed baking tray. I use our silicone baking mats which can be found here or use baking paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts and seeds, salt and cinnamon. Stir to blend.
3. Pour in the oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix well, until every oat and nut is lightly coated.
4. Pour the granola onto your prepared pan and use a large spoon to spread it in an even layer.
5. Bake until lightly golden, about 21 to 24 minutes, stirring halfway (for extra-clumpy granola, press the stirred granola down with your spatula to create a more even layer). The granola will further crisp up as it cools.
6. Let the granola cool completely, undisturbed (at least 45 minutes). Top with optional dried fruit and chocolate chips, if using. Break the granola into pieces with your hands if you want to retain big chunks, or stir it around with a spoon if you don’t want extra-clumpy granola.
6. Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.
Recipe inspired from: https://cookieandkate.com/healthy-granola-recipe/