Sweet & Spicy Sriracha Tofu Buddha Bowl
This Buddha bowl is on high rotation in our household. You can add any extras to your bowl but these are our favourites; steamed broccoli, roasted sweet potato, roasted chickpeas and avocado.
For the tofu:
- 1 block (350g) extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed, cubed
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons oil for frying
- cooked rice for serving
For the sweet & spicy sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 - 3 tablespoons Sriracha (depending on your spice preference)
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
- To make the tofu: add the tofu to a medium bowl with the cornstarch. Toss well to coat, and shake off excess.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the tofu cubes until all sides are browned. About 4 minutes each side. Drain tofu on paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
- To make the Sriracha sauce: in a small saucepan, 1 cup water, soy sauce, sugar, sriracha, agave, and garlic, then bring to a boil. In a small bowl or glass, mix the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water together. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and whisk well. Continue to cook another minute or two until the sauce thickens.
- Toss the sauce with the tofu and serve over a bed of rice.
These are a rich source of:
+ Antioxidants and minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, folate, and phosphorus.
+ The nutty seeds also have a number of essential vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin C, A, B6, B12, and vitamin K.
- 1 can organic chickpeas (BPA free can)
- swig of extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 drops Lime Essential oil
- good dash garlic powder
- good dash onion powder
- same goes for paprika
- 2 tbs organic honey
Combine altogether in a bowl, spread out on a lined baking tray and bake until crispy. Turning every 15-20mins. Usually takes about 50mins in my oven. They crisp up further when they cool down so try not to over cook them!
Store in an air tight glass container.
Recipe source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCC3Ej6BWiT/